Saturday, April 30, 2011

Shift

Shift- Jeri Smith-Ready


Synopsis:
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
  Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
  As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.




_____________________
My thoughts:
If you've read Shade, Shift's predecessor, then you know what's going on. You know that (*SPOLIER*) Logan is dealing with shading-out and basically becoming a not-so-nice ghost at some points. You know that Aura, the MC, is dealing with her feelings for losing her first love and best friend, and now the arrival of a certain Scotsman. And you know that, while Aura is the suspected start of this whole ghost-seeing phenomenon, Zachary (the Scottish dude who sometimes wears kilts) is the suspected end of said phenomenon. They're complete opposites, and hell, when you get a little over a hundred pages in, you'll understand what I mean. (*END SPOILER*)
  I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, so I'll make this as vague as I can! (I'll mark all spoilers—if there are any—so please, tread at your own risk!)
  I really, really, enjoyed Shift. Maybe even more than Shade, since we don't have to learn all about the ghosts and the shading and all that jazz. We get to see Aura being Aura, Logan being Logan, and of course (my favorite!), Zachary being his cute Zachary-self.
  My only real complaint about the sequel is that we, again, must hear Aura whine. I know, I know, I would be just like her too if my first love up and died and came back and…haunted me. (But it's not really haunting, is it, with the haunter whispering I love yous at every chance he gets, now is it?) Anyways, I was sick of hearing about how she missed him in this case, and then was all over Zach in the next instance.
  Aura's also super-forgiving. (It gets annoying, when she does it for like, everything.) I don't know, maybe this is her fatal flaw? Sometimes, I wanted to close the book and be done with it. But, my love for Shade made me continue.
  *SPOILER* If you're reading this, it's because you want to know something secret, aye? Well, another thing that kinda grossed me out was...Aura's prom date (ah-ha, and you thought I'd mention him!) and what she did with him. (Dude, get your mind out of the gutter...it's not nearly as bad as it sounds!). Oh, and even though I like Zach dearly, he was a total jerk at times, and I definitely wanted to hit him with a book. *END SPOILER*
  As always, I enjoy the author's insight on music. Her adult series is the same way, and being the obsessive music junkie that I am, I always appreciate someone who appreciates music like Jeri Smith-Ready does. I know I saw mention of some of today's hottest new artists, and this author definitely gets cool points from me because of it.
  All in all, Shade was a fabulous book, despite my complaints. I really hope that the author DOES NOT write another book because of the ending of this one. It was perfect and bittersweet, and I was smiling a little (the last line is so perfect...really) as the pages got smaller and smaller.
  I would definitely recommend this to fans of Shade, anyone who likes a good mystery/ghost story/romance-on-the-rise, or just anyone who likes YA! Really, if you are picking this up without having read Shade, I don't suggest it. There are very few cases when Aura "remembers" from the other book, and you'll definitely be left wondering. This also isn't really a "light read" at little under 400 pages, there's a lot of stuff going on.
  One more spoiler to end this with: (*SPOILER*) Ahh, I loved Zach again at the end! But the kilt...definitely brightened my day! (*END SPOLIER*) Okay, that's it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...