Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Discussion: Favorite Teen Novels

I have yet to do one of these, and it's a topic I wanted to post about :)
So, if you would like to participate, it's really as simple as clicking 'comment'.

I'd like to know what your favorite novels are, and why.
Simple, eh?

Let me start this off.

Me: Sierra, what are some of your favorite novels?
Me, again: Well, self, I'd like to say that every novel I read is my favorite. But...then I'd be making a liar out of myself. Truthfully, I'm a horrible judger of books. Basically, it all comes down to endings of books for me. In order to get a 4 or 5 star rating, and earn a place in my 'golden' shelf (in my head, haha) the ending of a book has to be...EPIC. I can hate a novel for the entire book, then the ending is surprising, unforeseen, and WHAM, it's awesome to me!
  That's not the case for me though, for some of my favorite novels. I like to call my favorites the ones who have an original story line, awesome characters, (in which some are witty and sarcastic, like me) and an even awesome-r ending. It has to build up to something that is going to make me think, wow. Or, I can't wait to get the next book!
  Maybe you're still reading, and thinking, Sierra...do you know you talk a lot? And you STILL haven't answered your OWN question? Patience, grasshopper (quick fact: I've never seen the movie that famous quote comes from. Heck, I don't even know what movie it comes from. Wait...google says some TV show from the '70s or some crap, moving on...). I tend to ramble and loose my train of thought. It's a gift.
  ANYWAYS, to shut me up, I shall use a list (they always work. And they're in order. I like order.):
  1. Vampire Academy (The entire series...Except for Blood Promise...hello, boring!) - Richelle Mead
  2. Hourglass - Myra McEntire (Just read it.)
  3. Starcrossed - Josephine Angelini
  4. Any Sarah Dessen novel
  5. & any Meg Cabot novel
Now, onto the 'why' of my own question:
  • Vampire Academy has vampires. And a hot Russian teacher. Really, is there any more to be said?
  • Hourlgass was just...my favorite, for some reason. I don't know why...the story line isn't even that original, but I just love it!
  • Starcrossed is, again, another 'why the heck do I like this one...' Well, I did like the main character, I liked the castoffs (mean, I know) and the storyline was original. I loved it, and I want the sequel and I have a girl-crush on the author.
  • Sarah Dessen is...Sarah Dessen. The QUEEN of YA-lit. If you haven't read her yet, you need to. I mean, that slogan "Read her once and fall in love" is like, real. I read Just Listen, and was begging my older sister to PLEASE let me have all the others she owned by Sarah. I still love her novels :)
  • And, Meg Cabot. You may not know this, but I'm working my way down her list of books. The only Cabot series I have yet to read (for teens)...Princess Diaries! I have the first three, but I just haven't ever picked them up. I love the movie, and if it's on, it's on my TV. I can't believe that they got the cutie from Rooney in that movie! So cool!
So, that's my list for favorite books/why they are my favorites.
Let me know some of your favorite titles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...