Thursday, September 22, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (6)

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Deb that anyone can participate in! Click the image to be directed to the page.

This week's question is probably one of my favorites! It is:
"Do you carry books with you when you’re out and about in the world?
And, do you ever try to hide the covers?"


My answer:

Yes, on both accounts. You cannot catch me without a book. I even take them to dinner (but I don't try to hold them open anymore, since the spaghetti incident which was horrible. And it was a library book.)
  The covers that I try to hide are normally to romance novels, or the general adult novels that feature other author's quotes about being sexy and hot and romantic and all that weird stuff (that we all love). Or hey, just people who are half naked. Keep in mind, I'm sixteen, so when my parents see covers with racy people on them, and the words "sexy and hot" they get a little awkward. I cannot tell you how much my dad made fun of me (and told everyone) when he finally looked up the word 'succubus' which is featured on every one of Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series novels. I swear to god I'm still going to be trying to live that down when I'm thirty.
  Not that succubus' are nasty (um, wait, they are). But we have a really old, college dictionary that literally made succubus' sound like vile, dirty, not for fifteen-year-old-eyes things. Which, hey, most of them aren't. But in the case of these novels, they really aren't that bad. Then my sister made it worse by saying, "But the main character isn't bad, really. And she can't have sex with her boyfriend, so what's the big deal?!"
  Seriously. I kid you not.

How about you? Ever hide covers you are embarrassed to be in possession of?
:D

3 comments:

  1. Laughing very hard about the succubus incident.
    Ohhh, Dads!
    (Got news for you,they can be just as ridiculous about daughters and raunchy topics when those daughters are 30something! I've had to hide a cover or two when I stay at my parents')

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. My husband is the same way. I too always have a book with me. Check out my full answer for this week's Booking Through Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only when traveling.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-thursday_22.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...