Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stay With Me by Paul Griffin

Stay With Me - Paul Griffin
Where I got my copy: Publisher, through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers

Synopsis:
An urban romance that will capture your soul, break your heart, and restore your faith in the human spirit
  Fifteen-year-olds Cece and Mack didn't expect to fall in love. She's a sensitive A student; he's a high school dropout. But soon they're spending every moment together, bonding over a rescued dog, telling their secrets, making plans for the future. Everything is perfect. Until. Until. Mack makes a horrible mistake, and in just a few minutes, the future they'd planned becomes impossible. In this stark new reality, both of them must find meaning and hope in the memories of what they had, to survive when the person they love can't stay.
  From award-winning writer Paul Griffin, Stay with Me is both heartbreaking and uplifting, filled with characters (both dog and human) that will forever change the way you look at the world.

_________________________
My thoughts:

This is by far, one of the most realistic novels I've read in months.
  The characters in Stay With Me aren't your cookie-cutter teens trying to find love. They live in the "real world", they work in the real world, and well, they love in the real world.
  When Mack meets Cece, he falls hard. Same for her. At first, you can see this rocky relationship working out. You can imagine them being there for each other, getting past both of their rocky pasts for each other.
  Then one day, Mack messes up. Hell, I didn't see this coming! All of a sudden, Cece and Mack can't be together. Not because they refuse, but because the circumstances prevent them from ever really being together again.
  I don't want to spoil it, so I'll stop trying to summarize.
  The writing is a little hard to get into at first. Not the writing, actually, but the way the characters speak. After about fifty pages though, you get really sucked in. I read the first forty pages, then didn't stop reading until I was done. I can't tell you of a novel I've read recently that sucked me in so much I read nonstop.
  I loved the characters, and though some readers may hate the ending, I understood it. Didn't stop my eyes from misting over a bit, but hey, so what?!
  Loved it, loved the characters, loved their interactions with each other, loved the friendships (with both humans and dogs!) and I wish there would be some kind of sequel. 4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read too many "realistic" stories over the past year--might be a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the author was brave with the unexpected ending.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...