Friday, October 14, 2011

The Apocalypse Gene by Suki Michelle and Carlyle Clark

The Apocalypse Gene - Suki Michelle & Carlyle Clark
Where I got my copy: Authors, for review
Releases: October 17, 2011

Synopsis:
With Pandemic ravaging the globe, Olivya's psychic Sight compels her to see auras riddled with the colors of despair, and now her mother is infected.
  Olivya’s only hope is the mysterious Mikah, a powerful Empath who claims the Pandemic is linked to his clan, the Kindred, and their brooding, monstrous, Immortal Lord. But can she trust this boy who can manipulate her very emotions?
  With Mikah's aid, Olivya races to unearth Kindred secrets, desperate to find a cure, only to discover the Pandemic is far, far more than a mere disease..

___________________
My thoughts;
I really enjoyed The Apocalypse Gene. It was nice to take a break from the normal, fluff of YA--wait, did I say that? Oops, I must've gotten myself confused with some other chick. My bad. Needless to say, I read a lot of books that focus on the "strange" and the "fantasy" but I'd like to say that this novel...I really don't know what category to put in. (I'm saying that it's so original, there isn't a category that suffices. Spam, I confuse myself!)
  Imagine a world in which cancer is raging, all but ruling the world. You have people dying, dropping off daily, at rates that are really alarming. Then you have a girl named Olivya, who can see auras. (If you read my reviews regularly, you know I'm a sucker for the aura-readers!) Then you have a boy (a, ahem, gorgeous boy) named Mikah who can see and--here's the kicker--manipulate emotions!
  What I really, really loved about this novel is the way that technology is interwoven not only into the world itself, but in the way the main character, Olivya speaks and thinks. It's so cool to see, not normal cuss words, but things like spam and other computer-speak as slang. Really cool--especially for a techy-nerd like me.
  If the premise of the novel isn't enough to get your hard drive revving, well, I don't know what to tell you (you sure you're updated on all your software? Nah, I'll wait while you check...). This novel is original, and funky, and at some points, I was really stumped. This doesn't happen much--I'm great at figuring things out. This novel though? Spam, man, it kept me guessing! Loved that about it!
  The writing is phenomenally good for two debut authors. Normally you read those debut authors who are trying to get into their "writing grooves", but these authors read like they've been writing for years!
  Loved the story, loved the characters, and I would love it if there was a sequel! (3/5 stars)

You can get your copy, and read a sample chapter over at TheApocalypseGene.com
& be sure to stop by on Monday for an interview with the authors! (click here for the interview)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...