Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Catastrophic History of You & Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastropic History of You & Me - Jess Rothenberg
Where I got my copy: Publisher, through Library Thing Early Reviewers
Release: February 21, 2012

Synopsis:
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.
  But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.
  With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

_________________
My thoughts:
Catastrophic is the perfect word needed to describe this novel. It literally has it all! Love, anger, betrayal, forgiveness, acceptance. I loved this book to no end, and damn, I wish there was a sequel (not that it's needed...I just loved the characters so much!).
  The novel follows  Brie (yup, like the cheese) who, shockingly, dies of a broken heart following the breakup from her first love, Jacob. If that alone isn't enough to grab your interest, well, see ya. I dare you to find a better novel.
  After her death, Brie is, well, a ghost. Watching her memories in her mind, reliving her first kiss. Checking in on her family/friends. She's not alone, though. There are other people there with her in her afterlife...especially the awesome Patrick. He's so mysterious, even I was stumped. His character's endgame (as in what eventually the readers learn along with the MC) brought tears to my eyes. And that's a huge feat, people. Like, huge.
  I loved the premise: that Brie ultimately needs to go through the five stages of grief in order to move on from her ghostly afterlife, and I loved how she literally did just that. Her emotions were believable and I couldn't imagine the actions being any clearer. I loved the time she spent with Patrick, and heck, he's so swoon-worthy and romantic I'm jealous!
  The writing is brilliant, and if I didn't know this was a first time author I'd swear she'd been writing for years. The characters couldn't get more believable and lovable. I seriously liked every character--even the dog! I hated the boyfriend, Jacob, and the best friend, Sadie for a while, but soon I got over it and I think I can honestly say that I did enjoy their characters.
  I loved how each chapter is headed by a lyric/title of a very good song. Reminds me of another awesome novel, Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway!. Kudos!
  This novel is hilarious, beautiful, heartbreaking and healing. I loved it so much, I think I may go read it again. 5/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to read this book for so long now! I love ghost and I can't wait to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...