Monday, October 31, 2011

Just Your Average Princess by Kristina Springer

Just Your Average Princess - Kristina Springer
Where I got my copy: Macmillan Children's InGroup

Synopsis:
Jamie Edwards has loved everything about growing up on a pumpkin patch, but ever since her cousin Milan Woods arrived, things have really stunk. Jamie can’t imagine it was easy for Milan to leave her life back in Los Angeles and move to Average, Illinois, population one thousand. But it’s kind of hard to feel sorry for her since (a) Milan’s drop-dead gorgeous; (b) she’s the daughter of two of Hollywood’s hottest film stars; (c) she’s captured the attention of everyone in town, including Danny, Jamie’s crush since forever; and (d) she’s about to steal the title of Pumpkin Princess right out from underneath Jamie.

_________________
My thoughts:
This tiny little book packs a punch. Or well...a pumpkin...(okay, that was lame. Good thing I'm not a comedian!).
  Jamie is...just your average (ha-ha) girl. One who happens to live on a farm, work on a farm, and jeez, even LOVE both of those things. Sure, I love pumpkins and I make a mean pumpkin pie, but working on a farm, no matter how nice it sounds takes guts. (OMG. Guts. Pumpkin-guts? Damn, I'm on a roll! Roll! Ha!)
  She has to pick pumpkins, fill in for people when they're on break and really do a bunch of other stuff around her family's farm/fun-place (it has petting zoos and haunted farm-houses, too. So it's not totally weird.)
  She has a crush on Danny, the twenty-year-old boy who's worked at the farm forever (though she doubts he even likes her like that). She's running for Pumpkin Princess this year, something she's dreamed about since she was little. And then...tragedy strikes. Her famous and beautiful cousin, Milan shows up, seemingly ready to steal everything out from under her!
  I live in a household of siblings--I understand what it's like to be out shined. That's why I think I really connected with this character. Her cousin, Milan is less than nice and generous...sound like anyone you know? (C'mon, everyone has someone in their lives who just isn't...nice). I honestly think that most teens will connect with the main character.
  This novel is so cute; and funny too. I really like Jamie's mind (how she thinks, you know?) she's sweet and kind and everything you expect a country-bumpkin to be. She possesses all the wit and humor that this author knows how to write, too. (Her book, The Expressologist, is pretty cool, too!) She really grows throughout the novel, in the best of ways, and I really enjoyed reading about her.
  This is a small book, so this is a small review. There isn't much more I can say without ruining the plot. But...I did love the ending. It surprised me a little bit, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  Oh, and the cover is so adorable! I can't get over it. 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...