Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
  When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

_____________________
My thoughts:

I don't know what to say. Seriously, I just finished Lola and the Boy Next Door, and yet I'm rendered speechless! I just can't praise this author enough.
  If you aren't reading Stephanie Perkins, well...you're literally missing out.
  I feel kinda torn between which of her novels is better, but Lola shines shines shines, people. The characters, the funky way the main character dresses, the quirky and adorable boy-next-door. The rocker boyfriend, the English boy and the American girl. Gurr! I love them all!
  If I had to choose one word to describe Lola, it'd be fabulous. The novel is just beautiful. I swear I want marry this book.
  Lola is such a different character (literally, everyday she's a new one!) that you can't help but fall in love with her. She's funny, she's so relatable, she's the most original character I've been introduced to this year. I love her outfits and how they remind me of the greatest actresses in the world. I love how she can wear a blue or a green wig and rock it like no one's business.
  Cricket, the boy next door is so freakin' cute and awesome I can't explain it. Seriously, he's so adorable I love him more than ANY other male in a novel. He's better than the badass boys any day. I want a Cricket! And though I liked Lola's boyfriend, Max, for a little while (of course he gets the sympathy card since his GF is all off falling for another boy) I ended up seeing him for who he was all along. Boo, you suck Max! (And whooooo! you rock Cricket!)
  Read this. Because it's awesome and I like telling fellow book-nerds what to do.
  Okay, I'm starting to sound annoying with all  my praise, I shall reel myself in for the sake of my sanity.
  I can't wait to read more Perkins, and I've no doubt she'll  manage to top herself...AGAIN! 5/5 stars!

3 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing when I read Lola! You can't just pinpoint one thing you loved about her. While Anna has her own story and value, Lola is just this entity that you can't quite grasp. I absolutely adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has been on my TBR list for a while now. I really can't wait to get to it! Thanks for the wonderful review!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another amazing review for Lola! Clearly I need to read this book. I do really love unique characters after all.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...