Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Amplified by Tara Kelly

Amplified - Tara Kelly
Where I got my copy: Macmillan Children's InGroup

Synopsis:
When privileged 17-year-old Jasmine gets kicked out of her house, she takes what is left of her savings and flees to Santa Cruz to pursue her dream of becoming a musician. Jasmine finds the ideal room in an oceanfront house, but she needs to convince the three guys living there that she's the perfect roommate and lead guitarist for their band, C-Side. Too bad she has major stage fright and the cute bassist doesn't think a spoiled girl from over the hill can hack it. . .
  In this fresh new novel by critically acclaimed author Tara Kelly, Jasmine finds out what happens when her life gets Amplified.

_____________________
My thoughts:
Oh, my god. I'm seeing mention of one of my favorite bands all over the place! Tara Kelly, you get bonus points for mentioning one of my favorite Placebo songs on the forth page. You kinda blew my mind with that one!
  Amplified was a really good music-related novel. The characters were real and fresh, and since the author knows a thing or two about music, it was accurate and I learned a whole bunch of stuff I never knew.
  Now, normally when you have music related novels, the authors don't mention actual things like this author did. She literally knows what she's talking about, so she gets extra bonus points for that.
  Jasmine was a fun character to read about. Sure, she's from a richy family, and the only thing her father expects her to do is go on off to college like a good little girl. Jasmine has other plans; the main one being staking her independence, getting kicked out of her house by Daddy Dearest and starting all on her own.
  The premise is one that we've all read: girl breaks away from the confines of her family/mom/dad and eventually grows and becomes an independent person. This novel isn't really anything new, but the way in which the character grows is new. She doesn't really have anything in mind besides maybe being in a band. As long as she has her music, however, she's happy. Interesting, but not really new.
  Then you have side characters that are cool, some that are funny as crap, and some you just want to slap over the head. Really, you need a wide-spread cast of characters in order to make anything interesting. Which Tara Kelly does.
  Okay, seeing as how I'm kinda rambling, I'm going to shut up (eventually). I loved what came about, and I admit I was a little scared to read some of the chapters (mainly the first "live" show scene. I was so worried about Jasmine and how she lied to the rest of the band about playing live before. And whoo. What a chapter!).
  The ending is something I have to admit, I foresaw, but hey, I still loved it!
  Lots of good music mentioned, mainly one of my favorite bands (ha! I love it!) and I think that anyone who loves music should pick this one up. (4/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...