Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

(Took me two months to get this review posted...Yikes!)

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep
Mythos Academy #1

Synopsis:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

__________________________
My thoughts:
I love Jennifer Estep.
  Her adult series, Elemental Assassin, is my all-time favorite series. (And, also, when you see mention of the Pork Pit in Frost, know that that is the place the MC in Estep's Assassin series owns/runs. Just sayin'.)
  But I'm not here to rave about that awesome stuff. Today, we're talking about her take on YA.
  Touch of Frost really reminds me of Enchanted Ivy by Beth Durst. What with the mythos school, magic, the gargoyles and other various things. But, even as alike the two books are, Frost is so much better.
  The main character is the type of character we all love to root for. The girl who doesn't have any friends, is kinda weird, doesn't fit in and so on. These kind of characters in YA are my favorite. Sure, the concept is used a lot, but still, I love them.
  Gwen, following the death of her mother, is tossed into a school for, well, gods. Mythos Academy focuses on the gods of myth, mainly. And well, Gwen doesn't fit in. She has that cool power, psychometry. (Like the girl in the Touch series by Laurie Faria Stolarz.)
  So, obviously, Gwen is all like 'why am I here, I'm not a freakin' god!' and therefore, is kind of annoying. In that people-we-love-to-hate kind of way. Though I really did enjoy her character, she was kind of annoying at times.
  Oh, oh, and don't let me forget the hottie of this fabulous novel, Logan Quinn! I love Logan's standoffish nature; I love how much of a man-whore Gwen thinks he is. And even after that ending (the second-to-last-chapter) I still love him. Why, do you ask? (To those of you who have read the work:) Because, I can see this series going in SO many directions. Seriously. Can't you? I love the tragic I-can't-have-you romances that plague YA lit. They rock, and well, all good readers know that those kinds of situations normally just fester and blow the heck up.
  The side characters, mainly Daphne, are also pretty cool...for a stuck up popular-chick.
  The writing, obviously, was awesome (since, hello, this author isn't NEW to writing!) and I really really want that damn sequel. Because if I have to sit here, thinking about WTF is going to happen between Gwen and Logan for like, months, I'mmuh get a little angry. So...release that sequel!* 4/5 stars.

*The sequel, Kiss of Frost, has been released!* :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...