Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Borrowing Abby Grace: The Shadow by Kelly Green

Borrowing Abby Grace: The Shadow by Kelly Green
Where I got my copy: Author, for review

Synopsis:
"When Abby Grace wakes up in the back of a van, she has no idea who she is, how she got there, or why anyone would want to kidnap her. After escaping her masked captors, she hurries home, only to discover that she unknowingly left her younger brother behind in the van. Unable to answer the police’s questions with her memories gone, she retreats to the safety of her bedroom where she tries to reconstruct her life. Just as she is settling into the belief that things will one day return to normal, she looks in the mirror—and sees a stranger’s face.
As Abby learns next, she has become a Shadow, sent to inhabit the lives of strangers in trouble. With nothing to go on except the vague hints of her cute but maddening Guardian, a 19th century ghostly teenager named Will, Abby sets out to rescue the missing brother. But she will need all of her intelligence, fearlessness, and wit, because if she fails to find him in time, she will remain trapped in this unfamiliar body forever."

_____________________
My thoughts:
  I think that, immediately, the first thing that jumped out at me about this first little "episode" was the writing. Now, I've read tons of authors, tons of styles of writing, and I have to say that I enjoyed Kelly Green's writing. It isn't clueless--you know what I mean. The authors who write just to write, and have no sustenance? No, none of that here (well, yes, there is sustenance. God, I'm confusing myself!). The writing flowed easily and felt real--it wasn't faked, nor did it have a bunch of unanswered rifts. I liked that about this book (episode, short story...you get the idea. It's like, 60 pages, so it's pretty small!).
  Even after reading the first episode, and reading about Abby, I can't tell you what she is. She's referred to as a "Shadow" but she doesn't know if she's a ghost/spirit/whatever, so therefore, readers don't really know either.
  Pretty much Abby Grace wakes up in the back of a van with masked people upfront (so obviously she's been kidnapped!), no memory, in the body of someone else. (Uh, Sierra, how does she know she's in a body that isn't her own? Looks in the mirror and sees herself, but sees images of the real "girl" she's inhabiting in said girl's room...confusing? Sorry!) She has to solve the girl's problem (whose body she is in), which seems to be why she was kidnapped and why her brother was kidnapped.
  I liked Abby's character. She reminds me somewhat of the Scooby-Doo gang, what with the mysteries and stuff (I never read Nancy Drew, though that is what this is kind of like, I hear). The mystery itself kept me interested, and I laughed a little as it all planned out, because I didn't see that coming (wow. I admit I was wrong? Yeesh!).
  Liked Will's character, too, though I'm excited to learn more about him in the next episode...Which I'm going to read now. I liked that he's like, Abby's "Shadow Guide". He's referred to as her guardian, and he's a ghosty too.
  Full of mystery, questions and intrigue, Borrowing Abby Grace is a short, fun little story that I think fans of mysteries will enjoy! 3.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...