Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Synopsis:
"Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
  Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
  For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death."

______________________
My thoughts:
Fracture is my new favorite novel!
  A lot can happen in eleven minutes...I mean, I can do a lot of shit in eleven minutes. (But that's beside the point.) In Megan Miranda's novel, Fracture, Delaney falls into the icy lake. She's dies. But her best friend, Decker, pulls her out (eleven minutes later!), starts unflinching CPR and brings her back to life.
  When Delaney wakes up, (after a six day coma!) all's good. She's a little sore, disoriented. But her brain scans show irreparable damage--really, how the hell is she thinking/walking/talking, the doctors wonder.
  She isn't normal and A-okay, in case you've yet to guess that. When Delaney wakes up, she finds herself drawn to the dying--people close to death. Her fingers start shaking, and a weird itch-like sensation starts in her brain and spreads as the dying get closer and closer to dying.
  So what does she do? She tries going about her life, despite the fact that she is, in fact, messed up.
  Then she meets Troy, a boy who has similar problems after waking from a coma.
  Okay, summary-time is over. Let's get onto my actual thoughts.
  This book is amazing. I fell in LOVE with the premise, then all but glued my damn eyes to the pages for a few hours and read read read. This book kept me entertained, from the first page to the last. The emotional turmoil that the main character, Delaney feels, is enough to get tears churning and your heart racing.
  Delaney's character is perfect. She sympathizes with herself and her problems beautifully. She doesn't whine, is what I'm saying. I seriously thank the author for having some intelligence when it comes to science, too. It made all the doctor reports and mumble-jumble actually sound medical! (You read books and it's all "You have a messed up brain. The end." But here, it's all, "You have a messed up brain. *Explains in detail why the heck she can't be doing what she's doing, yadayada*") Her character is perfect, and you can actually believe that this happened to her.
  Troy on the other hand, just bugged me from the beginning. Maybe it's because in the first description of him he isn't like, the hottest dude on earth. I dunno. I kind of hate him. Oh, and he has "ice blue eyes" which messes with my brain, because my uncle has "ice blue eyes" and ick. (I'm a strange one, I know.)
  Then there is Decker, who is like, awesome extraordinaire even though he's kind of an ass half the novel (hey, in his defense, so is Delaney! So bug off!). I gotta say, I loved his character! I wish he had more cameo's (though he's legit in every chapter) just because I like him so much.
  Unfortunately, I freaking LOVED the ending, but if you've read it, you know that's a little strange. I mean, I'm not spoiling anything when I say that everyone kind of got their Just Desserts (I've always wanted to say that, even though it's lame!!).
  That ending, though, DESERVES a sequel! I really hope there is a sequel, because DAMN. There is so much shit that has yet to be tied off. I mean, it wasn't a cliffhanger. But it was just one of those novels that you know might have a sequel.
  Loved loved loved the story line, the characters, and the experience I had while reading. Looking forward to more from this author (and *fingers crossed* from these characters!). 5/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this book (yet) but I agree with you about one thing: it's awesome when authors can correctly use medical/science jargon. Or, maybe not even correctly, but convincingly. I hate when they don't do their research! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...