Thursday, July 12, 2012

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Synopsis:
"Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.

But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns."

________________
My thoughts:
I hate being let down.
That being said, if you have high excitations for Sarah Cross's Kill Me Softly, you've been forewarned. Not only that it may let you down, but that this may not be the most positive review to read prior to reading the novel.
  Remember. You've been warned, chérie
  Now, here are my thoughts.
  Starting the novel, you wouldn't believe how damn excited I was. A few short months ago, I read and (almost) completed the complete book of Grimm's Fairy tales. So, obviously, I've stopped expecting novels that are perfect re-tellings, since I'm so done with the Disney crap, and know the real tales. So when I heard about this novel, and how it was focused on the ORIGINAL tales that we all know and love, well, I was damn interested.
  Needless to say, it sucked to have that all ripped away.
  Now, I'm not saying Sarah Cross lied and did write in the style of the re-telling of the Grimm brother's stories, because she stuck to the tales like glue. What disappointed me was the main character, Mira.
  She is so mindless, if this was a post-apocalyptic novel, she'd be the lead zombie.
  I just couldn't connect to her character. Not to spoil anything, but she met a dude and (maybe) 24-hours later, there she was, lying in bed with him while he felt her up. Right then, with my 'WTF' exclamation, I knew I wouldn't love this novel.
  I'm not sure if it was the characters, or the writing. Because the story line was awesome. It drew me in and made me covet this novel to no end (well, until 'the end'). The cover is beautiful, too. So, hey, don't judge it by the cover!
  The story line, as mentioned above, was interesting. I liked how Sarah Cross stuck to the Grimm tales, and made everything so interesting. Too bad she couldn't do that with her main character.
  As I said, she's mindless. She also doesn't seem to think. Here she is, running away from home, and she's only mildly worried about being caught (so she runs a block or two in bare feet. I'm thinking 'where's the glass? The mud? The used cigarette butts getting stuck between her toes, as nasty as that is?') whereas I, and maybe even you, would be all "OMG. I'm SO gunna get caught. Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit..." And can I say how odd it is that the two people who drive her to the bus/train/whatever the hell it was station don't care that she's going to me a long distance boyfriend? The dude even goes, "Cool." Uh, in what universe is that cool? (I can't even wrap my mind around the idiocy of fake characters these days. Paper dolls have more stability.)
  Anyways.
  A few things rocked: the premise, the cover, Blue's hair and eyebrow piercing.
  A few didn't: Mira, whatever-the-hell-Blue's-brother's-name-is (It's Felix. I had to legit look it up, even though I finished the book not even ten minutes ago), that freaky, bitchy Viv chick (I always hated Snow White for some reason), and the writing.
  So, while it was an okay read, I can't say I wish for more of these characters (so don't tell me if there's a sequel. I swear I don't wanna know). I do hope, however, that more books from Sarah Cross in the future are a little better, and more thoughtfully written.
3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...