Friday, July 27, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (Blood of Eden, #1)

Synopsis:
"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for."


____________________
My thoughts:
What a heart pounding novel.
  I swear, at times it felt as though I was right there in the story; my heart beating madly, my palms sweating...
  Okay, getting a little personal there and starting to sound gross. Sorry.
  Allison lives on the "Fringe" of society--A society run by BLOOD THIRSTY VAMPIRES and RABIDS, that is.
  She's joined...(yes I switch from exclaiming to sedate that quickly. Whiplash, meet your brain. Well...my brain. Since if you're reading this, it should read like "Whiplash, meet my brain. Brain, whiplash." ALRIGHT ALREADY. Sorry. I swear I have like, a condition that makes me ramble).
  ANYWAYS. She's (that's Allison. Not me or you) joined by a few other, Stick, Rat and Lucas. I personally liked none of them, but mainly because if the world were to end, and be like, overrun by vampires, I would be a "Shit, dawg, it's every man for himself!" and watching my own ass and forget about others.
  Thank god Allison is a lot more selfless than I. Allison. I've never encountered a more hard yet cool character in months. She's witty (her repertoire of remarks is hella funny), smart  and so much more concerned for others that there is legit no other word other than 'noble' to describe her.
  Okay, now some personalization. Because it makes the world go 'round!
  I freaking LOVED this book! Why? THE RABIDS!!! Which are basically zombie-vamps. Can you think of a more terrifying combo than a vamp/zombie races? No? Well, hell, neither can I! In my mind (and it's a fine, fine place there), I like to picture the Rabids like the Descendants from the video game Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Google it). Scary, crawling on hands and feet creepy things that are white as all that's holy and invoke such a sense of fear (in the video game and this book) that it's completely ludicrous.
  Kanin, Allie's "vamp sire" (I love any chance to say the word 'sire', because NONE of my friends know what it means and it makes me feel genius. Which I totally am. Psshtt.) was one of my favorite characters. I know, I know. I'm supposed to hate all the husks with pointy teeth, but he was such a cool vampire! He was like...Spike from Buffy. Evil, but hey, he's so charming you gotta love him. (I mean, he did save Allie. She woulda like, died without him. Oh wait...she died anyways. My bad.)
  But, unlike Kanin who is more of a father figure to Allie, Zeke is the boy who makes Allie's dead heart pitter patter. (I totally made that up. I can't recall a time when her heart beats again by some miracle. Thank god. That's like, impossible!) I loved then hated, then felt bad for him and now I love him again. I know. We have a messed up relationship.
  Did I mention he's HUMAN?! Ah, who could forget that?!
  Any who, I don't think I can say much more without spoiling something (how could I possibly? It's a huge monstrosity of a novel), so I shall stop speaking now.
  Loved the story, the characters. And in that Kagawa fashion, the writing and descriptions were absolutely beautifully put. Well done. 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...